Monday, August 25, 2014

WEEK 3 - "Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

Involved is a word that I would use to describe the past week of activities!  Currently during the work week, I am living on premise and staying in a room at Heartland Spas while volunteering in all areas of the business.  I have:
  • taught my first water aerobics class (went well...they asked when I was coming back) 
  • opened the boutique
  • helped with marketing at a health and wellness fair
  • created nutrient facts panels for recipes for Chef T 
  • worked the front desk with customer service in the wellness industry
  • vacuumed, swept, dusted and more with housekeeping
  • cut, steamed and served food with kitchen
  • contacted potential guest speakers
  • typed up instructional information for several of the new tasks I learned
  • jumped in whenever and wherever needed
  • challenged myself to learn every aspect of the business presented to me
During my stay here, I met a woman from out of state who came to the Heartland to focus on wellness (I will call her Jenny).  She received tragic and heartbreaking news that was emotionally overwhelming.  Jenny realized that once she heard the news, her self care began to suffer and she was exhibiting signs of depression.  A phone call was made and she flew out to Heartland to allow herself a few weeks where she can exercise several times a day, eat healthy food, nap when she is tired, take advantage of spa services and track her progress emotionally and physically through this journey.  Often, people overlook the many benefits of exercise.  Yes, with a balanced lower calorie diet exercise can help you lose weight.  But, it is so much more than that.  Following a bout of exercise, your body can better deal with stress.  Exercise encourages the release of "happy hormones".  Cognition is improved.  For more information on that topic, visit: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/27/mental-health-benefits-exercise_n_2956099.html  Talking through her life choices with myself and others in the wellness industry gave her a voice without fear of judgment.  With the combination rest, a healthy diet, sharing, exercise and time away she was able to better focus on life.  She saw hope for her future and a little more clarity with her decision making.  In the two weeks I have observed her, she has become a different person...happier, healthier and well.  I am blessed to have been a part of her story and I hope to hear about the rest of her journey as we keep in contact. 


I have had others contact me about become a case study in my classes and/or speaking to my students about their personal experiences with PKU, hip surgery, Crohn's, bunions and more.  If you or someone you know would like to have your experience shared for learning purposes, feel free to contact me at Burkhalt@gmail.com  and we can go from there.

This sabbatical has offered me opportunities for experiential learning while making connections in the wellness industry.  I am getting invested in the guests (one woman in particular who is here for three weeks) and I truly enjoy working side by side with the eclectic staff at Heartland.  This small business feels like a family the more time I spend here.  
 __________

THINGS I HAVE LEARNED WHILE AT HEARTLAND THIS WEEK:
  • A small niche market (like Heartland) relies on repeat patrons.  The more you can make them feel at home, loved and respected the more likely they are to recommend the business and return.  
  • Staying in a location where there isn't easy access to computers, a TV or other electronics changes the pace of life...things are much more relaxing and stress is kept at bay.  Try going without your electronics for a week and enjoy!  You will thank me later.
  • Eating healthy food changes how your body feels drastically!  When I left Heartland I decided to get some junk food.  My body was very unhappy.  I had a salty/fatty food hangover the next day.  I felt awful!  

No comments:

Post a Comment