Tuesday, September 23, 2014

WEEK 6 - "If it doesn't challenge you then it doesn't change you." - Fred Devito




I know it sounds trite to define a term as an opener (7th grade writing class, anyone?).  However, it is fitting to start with the definition of stress as I have learned a lot about it in my life and while out here in Portland.  Stress is, "strain or tension resulting from adverse or very demanding circumstances." 
I am by no means saying that my sabbatical is a stress in my life.  Rather, the contrary!  But, I am putting the big picture together as I reflect on the three major components to my sabbatical thus far: Heartland Fitness Resort and Spa, Crohn's case study, Portland.  Let me elaborate....

I spent the first couple weeks of my sabbatical at Heartland Fitness Resort and Spa.  I was learning the business, helping out wherever possible, and spending time to reflect on the health/wellness industry.  I met a wonderful woman during that time.  She came to Heartland to work through some difficult life decisions and process some hard things that were revealed to her prior to her arrival.  While at Heartland, she focused on self care.  She ate healthy food when she was hungry.  She motivated herself to exercise at least three times a day.  She took time to sleep when she was tired.  When she felt she needed to be alone, she gave herself that grace; and when she needed to share she found a healthy person to explain her thoughts.  In three weeks, she was a changed woman.  Was it Heartland that changed her?  I would argue she changed herself.  She stepped back and listened to her body meeting her own needs as they surfaced with timing and grace.  In doing so, she was able to decrease the stress/strain in her life so she could focus on growth and renewal.  

After leaving Heartland, I worked with my Crohn's case study.  Through research, interviews and listening to the doctors I realized that stress is often the main trigger for flare ups!  Things that cause stress are easy to pinpoint at times.  However, many people don't realize that lack of sleep, not eating when hungry, and just letting life "get to you" cause stress on the body.  That stress translates to an increase in inflammatory chemicals.  The inflammation is the root of many diseases such as heart disease and diabetes.  As many of my friends state about me, I live in a happy bubble where things just go right.  In my world, medicines work.  In my world, a change in diet will cause the health outcome desired.  In my world, sleeping can be a cure all for many things like a headache and flu.  But, Crohn's is different.  Medicines work or don't work...regardless, they can have terrible side effects.  Changing the diet doesn't always produce positive outcomes.  In fact, a diet rich in fiber, fruits, and veggies can cause more harm than good to a Crohn's patient.  And it is difficult to pinpoint where stress is stemming from in people.  So, the visit to Barnes Hospital did not give us the results we wanted to hear.  The Crohn's was not under control and it could have been due to stress as a trigger.   



Big E
 So, what do the above two scenarios have to do with my trip to Portland?  As stated in an earlier blog, my decision to visit Portland was based on the fact that Portland has been documented as one of the healthiest cities in the U.S. as it is known for its low incidence of inflammatory diseases such as heart disease and diabetes.  The more I spent time there talking to people and observing the culture, the more it made sense to me.  It is the overall lifestyle and control of stress that matters most.  Let me pause for a moment to give respect to my two educational loves, nutrition and exercise physiology.  A proper diet and exercise are part of this equation of low stress.  Don't hear what I am not saying...I am not saying that sitting back drinking a beer while watching TV and eating McDonald's is the answer.  I challenge you to think about things that cause you to feel happy, truly happy.  Those are the things to focus upon.  A well balanced diet rich in colorful fruits and veggies eaten in a relaxed atmosphere with friends provides quite a bit of satisfaction.  Even for individuals who do not enjoy scheduled exercise, a hike through the woods while sharing with a family member releases dopamine in the brain and deep enjoyment.  Focusing on living in the "here and now" relieves a lot of pressure from the question, "what if?"  I met Big E during my trip to Portland.  He is currently a bus driver and former military personnel who previously lived in the Mediterranean.  I explained to him that both Portland and the Mediterranean are known for their health and wellness.  I asked his insight and he shared that the longer lunches, locally grown produce, and an active lifestyle decrease stress.   Our bus ride was full of deep conversation and a lot of laughs.  He made a recommendation as to where I should go for my next stop, and I took his advice.  I stopped at First City Cycles as the Portland Bureau of Transportation shares that "Portland has been successful in making bicycle ridership a part of daily life in Portland."  Statistics boast that 6% of commuters bike to work in Portland.  This is about 10x the national average.  The individuals at First City showed me the comprehensive biking routes, the free apps for the phone and more support materials that support the biking lifestyle.  They also shared that everyone in the shop takes the day off on Mondays so all of their staff can bike the city and host a ride for others who are interested.  It shocked me.  I had not heard of a business effectively shutting down one day a week so that the workers could pursue their passion (biking) and share it with others.

 I returned to the place I was staying and continued the conversation with Kristin and Kip.  Kip was more than happy to share his thoughts.  He explained that he watched two documentaries that may lend a little more insight: Happy and Stress.  He explained that Portland is really a happy place full of resilient individuals who want to be there.  The cost of living is high and it rains over 3/4 of the days in the year.  But, Porlandians embrace the culture, weather, and whatever life throws at them.  Below you can find a video of Kristin sharing her thoughts:

  
After interviewing individuals, watching documentaries and reflecting on the past 5 weeks, I realized that a relaxed attitude combined with a healthy diet while experiencing new challenges in physical activity allows for the healthiest individual possible.  So, I guess getting up at 4:30 in the morning to do boot camp, working through lunch to eat a Mediterranean salad in front of my computer, rushing home to care for the kids, and running everyone around all night before crashing at midnight is not the best for me.  I believe I knew that...but, it didn't sink in until now.  Somehow I thought that my diet and exercise regime would "win" and keep me alive and CVD free into a ripe old age.  My research is proving me wrong.  When I get back into the office after my sabbatical, stopping at noon and eating that salad with a friend/colleague may be a healthier choice that brings me more health benefits and happiness.  :-)  

_________________________
I also wanted to share some of my new and exciting physical activity based adventures while in Portland.  Check a few out....

HOT YOGA - 105 degrees for 90 minutes while exercising indoors!  No joke.   It was more challenging than the three marathons I have completed and the two child births that I endured.   
The trails in Portland were plentiful and inviting!  Although this photo shows an empty trail, there were people on the trails most of the time.  It is a hiker's paradise! 
Being the competitive person that I am, I hadn't participated in a "fun run" before.  It was a new experience.  They had bib numbers...but, that was just so you can look up your pictures online after the race.  The runners started in 5 minute waves and no finish times were taken.  It would be a great experience for someone who was just out to enjoy the day...but, I wouldn't recommend it for the athletic enthusiast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment