Tuesday, October 21, 2014

WEEK 10 - "The difference between someone who is in shape, and someone who is not in shape, is the individual who is in shape works out even when they do not want to."

WHERE SHOULD I WORKOUT?  That is a question that is as personal as WHO SHOULD I DATE?   I don't have one blanket answer that fits all people.  Read the blog below to learn about some local facilities...maybe even go on a few speed dates by visiting them at least once! 

Upon graduation, I have many kinesiology students explain to me that they are applying for jobs at every fitness facility in the area.  I look at them inquisitively as I am not sure that is the best approach for them or the facility.  In the same vain, I have had managers of fitness facilities share with me that they hired someone, but quickly realized that it was not a good fit because the new hire did not share their philosophy.  Further, I have colleagues and community members regularly inquire as to which gym they should join.  I felt like information was missing out there.  I stepped back to reflect on how I could help in a small way.  My solution was to go to many of the facilities in the area, tour, interview the manager, workout on site, and get a feel for what they were all about.  What makes their facility unique?  What may make it an excellent fit for a prospective hire or client?  Below are some of my insights on a few places I visited the past couple weeks. Note the facilities are in alphabetical order, not order of preference or grouped in any way.  

CHARTER FITNESS: I was immediately impressed by the clean, comfortable and affordable facility.  I was greeted by Adam Dukes who met with me and explained to me that although they were amongst the most reasonably priced in the area (as low as $10 a month for the most basic membership) the facility is focused on a quality workout rather than getting people to sign up.  He showed me around the facility as I asked what makes this facility unique.  He brought me back to the High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) Studio and explained that the people that pay a little extra for the HIIT training with a personal trainer really bond and it is a good time for all.  Adam encouraged people to stop by for a 1 week trial pass to see for yourself!  
HIT STUDIO AT CHARTER FITNESS IN CHAMPAIGN

CURVES: Jan Smith met me with a smile at the door at Curves in Mahomet.  She is not just an individual working the front desk, she is the owner and truly believes in Curves and has seen firsthand the benefits it has provided her, friends, clients and others around the world (yes, they are worldwide).  She shared with me the philosophy of the facility, "Curves is a Woman's Fitness Facility.  It is the only facility with exercise, meal planning and one-on-one coaching in one place fully customizable and personalized.  Plus, now we are a sister business with Jenny Craig for those needing a personalized prescribed structured menu plan.  In either case our weight management is based on behavior changes."  They have a circuit based system with machines that are appropriate for any physical ability.  Individuals working out at Curves get personalized attention from the staff using the three C's: Correct, Compel and Celebrate.  Members can use an electronic key as they workout that will track their progress and show them how they are doing.  I saw that it is a supportive atmosphere that could be a good fit for women of all ages...they even have mother/daughter discounts!  
OWNERS AND BELIEVERS WORKING OUT AT THE CURVES IN MAHOMET


FITNESS CENTER: As I walked into the door, there were a group of older individuals relaxing and having a cup of coffee prior to their upcoming group fitness class.  They were laughing as if this were a local hangout for them.  I approached the front desk where two trainers had smiles on their faces and were more than happy to share with me the many group fitness, personal training, martial arts and other options they offer (on top of a traditional gym facility).  Eight or more different group fitness classes are offered each weekday with a variety of classes focusing on strength, mind/body, cardio and a fusion of strength/cardio.  Ryan Jones oversees the personal trainers stating that there are so many options offered that it meets the needs of anyone from a teen through their late 90's!  He went on to say that they offer a family friendly environment that allows any level of experience to enjoy their workout and make a few friends along the way.  Whether it is your first time in a gym or you are a seasoned lifter, they offer a unique atmosphere where anybody and everybody can enjoy.  It is no wonder this gym has been open with success for over 37 years.  I decided to try something different and went to their Silver Sneakers 10:40am class.  It had 15+ members in the class.  Many of the older members actually get a gym membership for free through select insurance providers who encourage physical activity.  Although many of the exercises in the Silver Sneakers class were conducted while sitting or using a chair for balance, the instructor challenged all of us (even me)...I can say it was a good workout!  But, the Fitness Center does not cater to an older clientele alone.  They meet all needs with their many options shared above.  What stands out making this facility unique is The Grid which is a bootcamp style workout pushing individuals with challenging functional movement training exercises.
GRID TRAINING AT THE FITNESS CENTER
GRID TRAINING AT THE FITNESS CENTER



FitTek:  If a picture is worth 1000 words, a video must be worth more...right?  I had the pleasure of meeting the owner if Fit Tek and having her share a tour of the facility as well as what makes them unique (a focus on ergonomics and body balance).  She is one of the most knowledgeable individuals I have come in contact with in the field of Egoscue as a means of body posture therapy.  Truly educational!  Check out the videos: 


METTLER CENTER: It is a very diverse facility with high standards and a focus on customer services.  It is very professional yet comfortable to the clients and offers options that few fitness facilities do.  They have an educational kitchen, physical therapists and registered dieticians on staff, hot yoga, Jazzercise and more!  You could truly spend most of your day at the facility focusing on self-care and health.  The staff is caring and sincere while truly dedicated to fitness and living wellness...they practice what they preach!  Currently, they are celebrating physical therapy month.  They share in their October newsletter, "There is an understanding that each person who comes through our door has unique needs and potential limitations or health challenges we need to be mindful of." 


RAW FITNESS:  Danny Iniquez has a true passion for what he does and helping those around him.  That is what spurred him to open his own facility focusing on "fitness through fundamentals" where you can come to his facility to correct faulty movement patterns that may cause pain and/or energy leaks.  He agreed to have me visit his facility if I saw it firsthand and participated as a client.  I happily agreed as I love a good challenge...and that was what I got!  Throughout the workout, he pointed out where I may be tight and need improvement.  He focuses on each person with personal feedback correcting body posture while keeping track of his clients each step of the way writing their accomplishments up on the white board.  My muscles were sore for the next few days...the sign of a great workout!  Check out more about his facility: 


REFINERY:  Refinery is a private club that focuses on members first.  If you are into weight lifting and finding other like  minded lifters, they have more weights and equipment than any other private gym in town.  They offer many of the Les Mills workouts as well as many other challenging workout options with their group fitness classes.  As one of the few gyms that offers all of the following: childcare, a snack bar, and a wet sauna, you have few excuses not to workout if you are a member. 

I will be investigating more facilities throughout my sabbatical.  Feel free to e-mail me any suggested locations you think I should visit.  :-)  I am always looking to learn and share more with those around me.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment