Thursday, January 1, 2015

WEEK 15 - "I got the bill for my surgery. Now I know what those doctors were wearing masks for." - James H. Boren

THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN....APPARENTLY, I AM A RESPONSIBLE ADULT!  

When going under sedation for any procedure at the hospital, the doctors always ask if the patient has a "responsible adult" to drive them home and make sure they are taken care of for several hours following the event.  According to a few people this past semester, apparently I am a responsible adult!  Who knew?  
Bunion surgery...notice the writing indicating which foot would be operated!

I told them that I would be more than happy to be their responsible adult.  But, I had one request.  I wondered if I could use their information in the classroom for assignments and/or case studies (anonymously if they wished).  They had no problem sharing!  Others who heard followed up sent me their pictures, x-rays and blood work when they heard that it may help nursing students as well.  I was like a kid in a candy store!
Unfortunate infiltration from the IV meds damaging the tissue...the needle got moved!

I teach nursing students in my BIO 120 (fundamentals of nutrition) class...and I am always seeking to pull real life examples into the classroom.  To do so I need to experience the clinics and hospitals through a patient's eyes.  However, HIPAA laws make gathering medical photos, asking patients questions, and piecing together case studies more difficult.  Yes, there are case studies published online with full answer keys for instructors.  Keep in mind that the students know that there are case studies online as well (if you understand what that means).  Plus, I want my case studies to be from individuals whose stories I know with personal details I can share.

At this time, I have several scenarios that I am planning on infusing into my nutrition and exercise physiology classes.  Amongst them are:
  • Discerning when to use different types of diets and what foods would be permissible on diets such as mechanical soft, full liquid, clear liquid, etc.  (TYPES OF DIETS)
  • Evaluating blood work to determine vitamin/mineral insufficiency.  
  • Calculating macronutrient content when ordering food at the hospital.
  • Interpreting an X-ray to determine what may be happening in the digestive system of a patient who was recently admitted for extreme abdominal pain. 
  • Determining a nutrition and physical activity recommendations to decrease the likelihood of restenosis.   
Throughout the sabbatical, I spent over 100 hours in the hospital as a "responsible adult" helping my friends and family.  All the while, I was listening, observing and talking to doctors in order to be the best plus-one I could be.  There was also an added benefit of bringing information back to my students in a tangible format.  Although I am sad to see the sabbatical come to an end, I enter the classroom a professor who was able to take this time for both personal and professional rejuvenation.  It was time well spent...and I would not trade those experiences for the world.  I just hope my students can deal with my renewed enthusiasm.  
Heart image following angioplasty and stent placement
X-Ray of intestine (full of materials that would not pass)

Mechanical soft diet choices and carbohydrate breakdown of the items
A comparison of the carbohydrates on the actual nutrition label




No comments:

Post a Comment